This image gallery gives a glimpse of the remains of the magnificent structures erected in the independent Sultanate of Bengal (1342–1538), of which Pandua (1342–1432) and Gaur (1432–1538) were successively the capitals. Architecture received patronage from various ruling elites, including Indo-Turkish, Arab and Habshi elites and Bengali Muslims. The built spaces exhibit a variety of influences, and are most important for showing the rise of the Bengali style which is distinctive with massive walls decorated with off-sets and recesses, octagonal corners, curved parapets and terracotta ornamentation. A regional interpretation of Islamic architecture is very well seen here.
Photographs by Madhumita Chatterjee
Khan, M. Abid Ali. 1931. Memoirs of Gaur and Pandua, ed. Henry Stapleton. Calcutta: Bengal Secretariat Book Depot.