Madku Dweep is an island on the Shivnath river in the Bilaspur District of Chhattigsarh. The site is home to 19 reconstructed temples, excavated in 1959-60 belonging to the 11th century, Kalachuri period. The site is today associated with Madku rishi whose sculpture in round sits between two new shrines inside the complex. This library artifact provides a brief introduction to Madku Dweep by various scholars who were involved in the excavation and re-building of the site. The later part of the book contains the sthalamahatmaya glorifying the presence and creation of the site by saint Madku.
This content has been created as part of a project commissioned by the Directorate of Culture and archaeology, Government of Chhattisgarh to document the cultural and natural heritage of the state of Chhattisgarh.