SAHAPEDIA-UNESCO FELLOWSHIP 2020
Call for Applications
Closing on 02 August, 2020
Deadline for the applications has been extended to 12 August 2020
Sahapedia is pleased to announce the fourth edition of the Sahapedia-UNESCO Fellowship programme, to provide enthusiasts, students and scholars an opportunity to engage with and explore India’s rich cultural heritage.
The Sahapedia-UNESCO Fellowship is a part of our efforts to raise awareness – at local, national and international levels – of the importance of tangible and intangible heritage, and to increase access to communities, groups and individuals who constitute or safeguard this heritage. The Sahapedia-UNESCO Fellowship 2020 is supported by the HT Parekh Foundation.
Through this initiative, fellows will be encouraged to conduct documentation and research in diverse areas of cultural knowledge and practice. Research and documentation carried out by the Fellows will be published on the Sahapedia web portal.
We look forward to receiving the applications for the Sahapedia-UNESCO Fellowship 2020. Kindly go through all the Annexures and Terms and Conditions before applying.
Fellowships are available in the following languages this year – English, Hindi, Bengali, Tamil and Malayalam.
Fellowships are available to post-graduates and above qualified in the disciplines of the Humanities and Social Sciences in the broadest sense, or those with equivalent professional or research experience. Candidates with prior professional or academic familiarity with the subject under application may be given preference. The Fellowships are available to only those candidates that hold an Indian bank account. For further details, refer to the Annexure V.
You would be required to submit the following as part of your application.
- Proposal of approximately 1,000 words which, in addition to an abstract of 250 words, must include the following:
- Scope of work
- Selection of deliverables
- Methodology and timeframe. The proposal should be relevant to Sahapedia’s field of work.
- Writing sample, a previously written essay or research paper of at least 1,500 words, or a URL link of a 5-10 minutes long video clip indicating the candidate's skills in filmmaking/videography (for documentation); or both, depending on the selection of deliverables.
- Bibliography of existing literature or work on the topic. No more than 15 items/titles are expected.
The fellowship has to be completed between October 01, 2020 and March 30, 2021. Failure to submit completed deliverables within the stipulated time frame will result in the cancellation of the fellowship. Candidates are advised to refer to the timeline outlined in Annexure III.
Fellowship types are divided into research, documentation, or a combination of the two categories.
Depending on their selection of category, candidates may select their deliverables. Candidates may refer to the guidelines for content creation in Annexure IV.
Each Fellowship consists of three elective deliverables. The candidate may identify, during the time of application, three deliverables, the options for which are given below:
Deliverable I: (Pick one)
1. Illustrated overview/ introductory article (3,000 words with 5–10 images), or 2. Short documentary film (15–20 minutes with English subtitles, along with a synopsis of approximately 500 words)
Deliverable II & III: (Pick any two)
- Allied article (1,500 words with 3–5 images), or
- Image gallery (30–50 images with captions), or Photo essay (20 images with captions and a short essay of about 500-800 words to complement the visual narrative)
- Text interview with an expert/scholar/practitioner (1,500 words, with minimum 10 Q&As).
Selected candidates will be granted an award of ₹44,445. Applicable Income Tax will be deducted at source as per the provisions of the Income Tax Act, 1961. Thus, the award will amount to ₹40,000, which will be released in three installments, based on the completion of specific deliverables. The procedure for disbursements will be shared upon signing the agreement.
Fellows working in regional languages will receive an additional payment of up to ₹10,000 for translation (upon approval of a sample by the Sahapedia team, and the provision of an invoice).
Candidates are advised to refer to the following annexures for further information:
Annexure I – Brief description of the Fellowship
Annexure II – Selection Criteria
Annexure III –Timeline
Annexure IV – Guidelines for content creation
Annexure V - Terms and Conditions