This heritage walk is conducted for the students of the history department of Dera Natung Government College, Itanagar. Ita fort, from which the name Itanagar, the capital city of Arunachal Pradesh, has been derived is a huge medieval fort complex discovered in the early 20th century that lies in ruins today. This walk seeks to explore its archaeological landscape, its history, enigmatic ruins (especially, the Southern Gate), architecture, and local folklore associated with it, and expose the students to the controversy surrounding its date of construction and builder.
This walk will also cover Mahayana Buddhist gompa complex. The complex, which carries influences of Tibetan Buddhism, comprises of a stupa, a small monastery, and a gompa consecrated by His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama in 1996. A custom walk for Dera Natung Government College, this walk aims to create awareness about this sacred landscape and highlight the Buddhist culture as exemplified in the gompa’s art, architecture, and basic rituals.
• Date: Wednesday, October 18, 2017
• Duration: 10:30 am to 1 pm
• Meeting time: 9:30 am. College Bus leaves at 10 am
• Meeting Point: Administrative Block, DNGC, Itanagar
• Walk led by Mr Duli Ete (Itafort) and Mrs Tsering Yangjom (Gompa)
Mr Duli Ete is an assistant professor in the Department of History, Dera Natung Government College. He received his BA, MA, and MPhil degrees from the University of Delhi, specialising in Ancient Indian history.
Mrs Tsering Yangjom is an assistant professor and, currently, the Head of History Department, Dera Natung Government College. She acquired her BA, MA and MPhil degrees from Rajiv Gandhi University, Itanagar. She is a respected singer among the Monpa communities of Arunachal Pradesh.
• Contact: +91 7005872049 (Duli Ete),
+91 7005265861 (Tsering Yangjom)
Things to keep in mind:
• Carry drinking water and an umbrella.
• Wear comfortable shoes.
• Photography is allowed in all the monuments.
• Kindly avoid littering during the walk.
• If you are unable to attend the walk, please inform Mrs Tsering Yangjom or Mr Duli Ete.