Art Deco is one of the most celebrated architectural styles, it is associated with luxury and elegance across the world. Mumbai is dotted with Art Deco style, set amidst the city’s Gothic and Indo-Saracenic giants in the form of apartments, theatres, institutes, offices, and various other landmarks.
Addressing one of the most significant construction revolutions of Mumbai, this walk will take you back to the era of jazz and architectural prosperity that Mumbai witnessed in the 1930s. This walk is all about the arrival of Art Deco from France to Mumbai via Miami, New York, California, Virginia, and London.
This guided tour is for free.
Date: Sunday, November 26, 2017
Duration: 4:30 pm to 6 pm, Meeting time: 4:15 pm.
Meeting Point: Outside Eros Cinema
Nearest station: Churchgate
Walk led by Neethu Mathew
She studied Urban Design from Mumbai University and proceeded to work as a freelancer before joining as a co-editor, photographer and graphic designer for MMRC's monthly Newsletter. A consistent entry addressing the heritage and history of various localities of the western front of Mumbai was one of her major contributions to the Newsletter. Driven by people and books, her fields of interest include urbanism, sociology, anthropology, history, art and many more. She is also a proponent of heritage conservation.
Things to keep in mind:
● Mandatory registration closes after 25 entries.
Steps for registration:
- Please like and share the page to register.
2. Fill the form to confirm your registration. )
If you are unable to attend the walk after having registered, please inform us over an email or a text message.
Phone: 9920557729 (Neethu Mathew) , Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Limited parking available around the meeting point; we recommend you to use public transport.
- Photography allowed, but please ask the locals before you take photos of them or their homes.
- No entry fee.
- Wear comfortable shoes and carry water.
- Carry an umbrella in case the weather gods happen to frown upon us.